Last month, we gave some tips on how to prepare your home for storm season. Check it out here! Once you make sure that your home is financially and physically protected, we recommend going one step further by creating an emergency folder to keep on hand. Whether you are evacuating or staying home, if the power goes out then you will want to be prepared and have all of the information that you need in the case of an emergency. So where do you start?
Alpha Omega wants to help make prepping for a storm easy for you. Check out our printable checklist that we came up with as a quick guide! We recommend going through this four days before a storm comes, if not even further before!
- Print out a copy of your current home insurance policy
- Print out a copy of your evacuation plan, including to and from places such as work, children’s school, or other places that you frequently visit
- Ensure that personal documents, such as IDs, are up to date
- Arrange for a professional roofer to come out and see if your home is eligible for a retrofit for things such as your plywood, nails, wind-rates shingles, hurricane straps, or gable braces
- Clean out gutters and drains
- Consider purchasing hurricane shutters and windows
- First Aid kit is fully stocked
- Water jugs and bottles, ideally one gallon of water per person, per day for several days
- Important medication and prescriptions for members in household and pets
- Trim major branches and bushes near your home
- Bring inside outdoor furniture and other loose outdoor items
- Hand-crank or battery-powered radio
- Non-perishable food for each person for several days
- Batteries of various sizes, including AA and D
- Place sandbags in low planes of entry around your home, such as doorways and garage doors, where flooding can commonly occur
- Fire extinguisher
- Hygiene items
- Pet supplies
- Cash in the case of electricity and ATMs aren’t able to be used
- Charge battery packs for phone chargers and other smaller electronic devices
- Fill up an extra gasoline tank
- Download the FEMA app
- For more tips on how to prepare for a storm, we recommend gov for information on what you think fits you, your family, and your home’s needs best
Alpha Omega understands that roofing is more than about just a roof, it’s about protecting you, your family, and your home. We hope that being prepared as much as possible, along with routine inspections of your home, will help bring some peace of mind when it comes to storm preparation. Be safe out there!
For a free inspection of your home, please give Alpha Omega a call at 844-704-ROOF today!